When we’re not working behind the press, we love to cook and try new foods. So, we thought we’d start sharing some of our recipes with you in a new series: Happy Eats! Today we thought we’d share a recipe for Pimiento Cheese BLTs. This simple recipes makes a Tupperware full of pimiento cheese that you can keep on hand throughout the week for speedy lunches and snacks (and even a burger topping or two!). The original recipe is from Southern Living magazine a few years back. We loved it so much we kept it bookmarked for those hot summer days when nothing hits the spot quite like pimiento cheese.
First, fix yourself a big batch of pimiento cheese. This recipe substitutes roasted red bell peppers for the pimientos (peppers, for those who aren’t familiar). Because we normally have a jar of roasted red bell peppers on hand, it works well for us.
After mixing up the cheese, let it chill for a few hours. See how long it takes before you pull it out of the fridge to snack on. Go on, we’ll wait.
After the cheese has chilled for a bit, brown off some bacon until it’s nice and crisp, wash some fresh leaves of romaine, and slice up a Roma (plum) tomato. This sandwich is great on any kind of bread, but we love it on Publix grocery store’s French bread rolls, which are like fancy hamburger buns. Then spread the cut sides of the bottom of the rolls with a heap of pimiento cheese, and grill them off in a nonstick skillet until the cheese is nice and melty. Then pry open the sandwich, and add the lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon.
Yummm. We served it with freshly cubed watermelon. Now go on and mix up a batch! Try it on grilled burgers, with crackers or crostini, or stuffed into pickled okra. It’s like Pringles. Once you start eating it, you just can’t stop!
Tip: Always shred the cheese by hand. We’ve learned from experience that while the food processor is fast, it won’t get the same texture as shredding it by hand on a box grater will.
Roasted Red Pepper Pimiento Cheese
Originally from Southern Living magazine
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise (we use Hellman’s with olive oil)
- 1/2 (12-oz.) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse-ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Stir together first 4 ingredients until well blended; stir in cheese and black pepper to taste.
To Make BLTs
- Prepare Roasted Red Pepper Pimiento Cheese. Refrigerate 2 hours (or longer).
- Meanwhile, cut 1 Roma (plum) tomato into slices, wash romaine lettuce leaves, and cook desired number of bacon slices until crispy.
- Cut desired number of rolls in half. Spread bottom halves of rolls with desired amount of pimiento cheese. Cover with tops of rolls.
- Cook in a lightly greased nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until browned on both sides and cheese is melted.
- Remove from skillet, and carefully remove tops of sandwiches. Top cheese with tomatoes, lettuce, and bacon. Cover with tops of rolls. Serve immediately.